Chaptor One Forum Index Chaptor One
Welcome To The Chaptor One Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wait for Vista/DirectX10?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamuraiJake

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Wait for Vista/DirectX10? Reply with quote

Ok, for the past couple of days I've been pondering about all the new fancy stuff coming out soon. The big things that come to mind are Vista and DirectX10. Now, my question is: Should I upgrade my motherboard/video card now or wait till DirectX10 cards hit the shelfs? Before I go on I'll post my current system specs:

AMD 64 3500+ Venice
1024MB DDR400 Corsair Value RAM
HiS Excaliber Radeon X800 Pro 256MB AGP 8x
Sound Blaster Audigy 4
ViA Soltek KT8 Pro Motherboard

As of now, my PC handles games just fine at high/max settings at pretty decent resolutions with playable frame-rates (Above 40+). However, not only is my system aging very fast, I keep hearing all this stuff about how my PC will be dated by the time next year comes out, preferably my video card is said to be not enough to run games at all by then. Which concerns me because I have quite a list of what to play by the time 2007 rolls around, and I'd hate to be stuck with that fact.

Now by the time school starts, I'll be getting a part-time job and hopefully be able to upgrade within a month of working. What I wonder is if I should upgrade my video card to a high-end DirectX 9 card now (Preferably to the Radeon X1900XT), Or go for the first generation of DirectX 10 cards when they come out? Inevidably I'll have no choice but to replace my current AGP motherboard with a PCI-E one, which is not really that big of a issue given motherboards are decently priced these days and you don't have to update them every year or so.

As for stuff like my RAM, Hard-drive, CPU, and soundcard, I'm fine with keeping those. They still have plenty of juice left to last for another year or so, it's the video card and motherboard I'm mostly concerned about. I've checked many benchmarking sites for answers and I found nothing of use (All they talk about is how you just have to get the highest-end parts out there to play games and be cool), so hopefully you guys can give me a solid answer.
SamuraiJake

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump! Still open for suggestions.
reeper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i want to build a new 1 too so ,if your going to do it too .i think you might as well be big too dulcore , go for ddr2 memory, double graghic card,liquid cool!!
i believe chip is double too!! sweet :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, two video cards is a huge waste of money only if you want to play your games at insane resolutions. Dual core has been a huge thing for me to consider but I personally would rather wait till quad core CPUs hit the shelves. Of course that don't mean I could go with dual core first.

Anyways, still need to know if it's really worth getting some major upgrades at this time. I've still looked around and have gotten alot of answers that leave something to be desired.
Maggot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it all depends on what you intend to do on the system. If it's running good and suits your purposes then just leave it alone. I still have a Socket A based system that runs great (back up computer). I built this one because the AMD 64 CPUs finally started moving down in price, then wouldn't you know it the dual cores dropped in price too.

I don't see any need to jump in the quad core band wagon as it just wouldn't make that much difference to me and my use of the computer. UT defiantly won't run any better on a quad core.. As it is now I have to run UT on a single core... seems there is some AMD bug with some older programs and a dual core AMD.

If your system suits you just be happy.
Maggot

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a fix for the AMD dual core bug running some games (UT)

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html

It's the Dual Core Optimizer.

There are some other handy utilities for AMD users.
][c1][Gimp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem as you Jake, but I plan to up my memory to 2 gigs, and upgrade my video card, as I am running a 64 now. When UT 2007 comes out, then I will decide what vidio card to get. For now, everything is running okay, so I am not going to do anything yet. I just wish Mac prices where equel to PC prices-lol.
Gimp

YOU BE GIMPERISED
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chaptor One Forum Index -> Computer Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: