Chaptor One Forum Index Chaptor One
Welcome To The Chaptor One Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AGP To PCI-E...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamuraiJake

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: AGP To PCI-E... Reply with quote

I've been looking around at whats new in the graphics card department lately, and I realized that all of today's new cards (Except the 7800 GS) are all PCI-E. This makes me wonder, was getting a AGP board at this time really worth it? Given that AGP is on it's last legs, I was wondering if anyone knows of a PCI-E to AGP converter of some sort exists. I've seen AGP to PCI-E converters out there, but not the opposite.

The reason why I ask this is that when I start thinking of upgrading my graphics card, AGP will be dead from the world. And given that I have a AGP-only motherboard (Bad choice), I was wondering if their was any kind of converter out there so I can keep my motherboard for a couple more years. I'd really hate to change my motherboard just for one new part, especially since my motherboard is almost in mint condition (Despite a broken SATA connecter or two).
][c1][toe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at the same thing Jake,Mother boards are cheap compared to graphics cards.I figured I would get a agp board cuz I didn't wanna spend the money on a graphics card.I used to run sli mode with two pci cards I had two voodo card linked by a cable.I'm hanging back a few years to save money.I figure next year I can play Doom3 when a card that can run it well don't cost 400 bucks.Not sure about the adaptor I would think you would lose some performance doing that.GL.

Last edited by ][c1][toe on Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:22 am; edited 1 time in total
[C|H|3|Z]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldn't think that adaptor would be possible.
Like toe said, and as you know, motherboards don't cost that much, prolly about a 4th of the cost to get a really new graphics adapter. AGP only went to 8x, it will never go any farther, PCIe started at 16x and will increase for a while. so if you think you wanna spend 4 or 5 hundred bucks on a graphics card, what's another hundred or so for the board? The main thing about PCIe cards, other than the option to SLI some of them if you have a board with two PCIe slots, is the bus speed, so adapting a PCIe card to run in an AGP slot would be counter productive.
I think you should be fine for a while anyway hehehe.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True about how motherboards arent that expensive nowadays. But the main thing I have about replacing my AGP motherboard, is the whole BIOS thing. Unless it's just me, but do you have to format your hard-drive before installing a new motherboard? From what I've heard you have to, but I hear a bunch of different stories on whether you have to or not. If anyone can clarify on that please let me know.

In any case, I'll keep my motherboard for about another year or two before going PCI-E. I know this PC will be able to run UT2007 at a decent graphics level (Someone from Epic even said that a 2.8 Ghz PC with a 6800GT or something will run it with 'decent' framerates), so I shouldn't have to worry that much. Though, It would be nice if it did have PCI-E.
][c1][toe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnít have to reformat my 200 gig sata all the data is intact. What you have to watch for is formatting done with a older bios and the jumpers in the back of the drive. Some drives let you change the size of the drive with jumpers. Service pack 1 is a must with larger drives unless you use some type of overlay software or disk manager..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for years at a computer store/shop, and the techs always recommended to customers who had us replace their motherboards, (unless exact replacement) that they let us format and reload windows because it can get weird. Of those who didn't take that advice, maybe 20% didn't return within 2 weeks to pay more money for the reload (sometimes you have weird stuff go on and can't tell that it's a driver that windows wouldn't let go of that was for the old motherboard). That 20% may or may not have had issues they chose to live with.
If you want to try to replace your motherboard and not reinstall windows on a clean formatted drive then there's one trick you could try, but i don't know if it works in xp or not. I used to have pretty good luck in win98 by PRIOR to the change (if the system would still run anyway) going into the registry and deleting the Enum section, that would force windows to redect all hardward and USUALLY not latch back onto what it thought was still part of mamma (the old motherboard) but didn't always come out right.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's kinda risky you could lose data and not realize it.Best way is to move the files to the new drive formatted in the new computer.or ..try to View Drive Information shows exactly how your BIOS recognizes the drive.need a utility for that I think.
mine is still working but my old mother board wasn't that old like 6 months.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've come to the conclusion that I'll be upgrading my CPU sometime during or after summer. I'm gonna replace my AMD 64 3500+ Venice in turn for a dual-core CPU with the same clock speed. Given that games I play like Oblivion are multithreaded, the upgrade should help out with the performance (I already get about 40+ FPS in outdoor settings on Oblivion on max settings at 1024x768 with 2x AA, but it drops badly when more then 2 people are in view).

Here's were some issues crop up, my motherboard isn't dual-core enabled by default. The only way to make so it can use dual-core is by upgrading the BIOS. I hardly know anything as far as that stuff is concerned. My question is, is upgrading the BIOS drivers as easy as 1-2-3 like it is with other driver updates? Or do I need to re-format my harddrive in order to do this? I've done a bit of research for some answers and came back with mixed answers. If anyone can give me a hand on this It will help me alot.
][c1][GAB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had to format my hard drive after flashing (upgrading) my bios. First thing is to save the bios you have now to a file, just incase the new bios cause`s problems.
Newer motherboards usealy have a bios live update program you can use to upgrage your bios online. Read your motherboard manuel to see if theres a bios jumper seting that has to be set so a new bios can be installed.

The software cd that came with your motherboad may have a folder on it with the bios flash program and the original bios file, and maybe a readme.

Chaptor1 MH unreal://24.95.91.79:7777
Chaptor1 MH2 unreal://24.95.91.79:7767
zp|Chaptor1 UT99 instagib mapvote #2 unreal://24.95.91.79:7787
Chaptor1 Bunny Track unreal://24.95.91.79:7757
Chaptor1 MH2GOLD NW3 unreal://24.95.91.79:7227
Chaptor1-Sniper-Deathmatch unreal://24.95.91.79:7747
http://www.chaptorone.net
[C|H|3|Z]

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgrading bios should not be done unless you know you have a reason to do it. Read the version history from your current bios version all the way through the newest version. Sometimes the changes will only matter if you have certain other hardware installed, or sometimes the changes are only effective if you need to run certain software.
The reason not to do it unless you really have a need to is that there is a certain risk involved. If you start the flash and for any reason the power goes out or some peice of hardware goes berserk and causes it stop half way through, there is a chance that you won't have enough of a working bios left to ever booted back up to the point of being able to flash it again. That means unless you get your hands on a replacement bios chip that is already flashed to a working bios version (not likely) then you will need to replace the motherboard or whatever hardware you flashing the bios on.
It's not that this likely to happen, it's just that if it did happen it would suck so awefully bad.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the fast replies! I may let GeekSquad or someone do it for me since I can't afford to screw up the BIOS drivers. But then again, I may do a little more research on this. As much as I'd like to get a dual-core CPU (A few people I know have them and say they rock hard), I'd really hate to screw up a small mistake that could cost me alot of money.

*EDIT*

Done a little research on what the BIOS update does as far as dual-core CPU support is concerned. Apparently I can only use the Opteron dual-core CPUs, whether or not those are any good I'm still trying to figure out (As far as I know, they are workstation chips, but should still do well for gaming based off of customer reviews).
][c1][toe

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once loaded the wrong bios and crashed my system so I had to do a hot swap,lucky for me I had 2 of the same mother boards.It worked I was shocked.
http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25538

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch!

I do have a spare motherboard if something like that was to happen. When I ordered the one I have, I accidently ordered two of the same board and didn't bother sending back the spare (Why that happened is beyond me, I didn't pay for the second board so...). Might be used for another build for my dad or something, given that he is getting a new PC in the future. But until then, I could use it if the one I'm using fails.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chaptor One Forum Index -> Computer Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: