Chaptor One Forum Index Chaptor One
Welcome To The Chaptor One Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New computer for me
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
][c1][toe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject: New computer for me Reply with quote

I built a new computer man it takes a long time get this done.

specs

Sempron 3100+
Abit NF8-V2 MB
gig of ram
300 gig drive 90 bucks at Fry's
this thing only runs at 1800 mhz but thy call it a 3100+ lol.
Same v card 9600
Time to see how ut runs on it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice PC there Toe, you will really like how UT will run on that rig.
][c1][toe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THX Jake I wasn't sure about how the xp would handle the 300 gig ide and the sata 200 gig drive so I installed xp on a 60 gig drive added service pack 2 and the sata drivers.then I used the seagate Disk wizard to support the large drive and move the os to the 300 gig.So far all is well no lockups and ut runs great. 500 gig is nice to have since I record tv on the computer.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

=) yeah, toe, AMD uses a technology called QuantiSpeed (i think that's right) and this technology is very valid. A cpu is rated by how many cycles it can run per second. That is in the milions for todays cpu's so they use mhz (as opposed to just hz which is per second, mhz is millions per second). So, true, your cpu is rated to run 1800mhz (or 1,800,000,000hz hehehe) but with Quantispeed technology it completes more instructions per cycle and therefor gets a shitload more work done at 1.8Ghz then the original p4 did. If you benchmarked your cpu against an original p4 that ran at 3100mhz you'd see nearly the same performance cause yours does more work per cycle then the p4. The number of cycles a cpu can complete per second really means nothing to the end user, all that matters to us is what this puppy can get done, and your cpu can get shit done very nicely. The nameing convention of 3100+ means more to you than does 1.8Ghz.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind repeating that in layman's terms Chez?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, more simply an AMD chip does more work at certain Ghz then an original P4 does at the same Ghz. While an original P4 might be screaming along at 1.8Ghz it's not getting as much done as an AMD chip running at the same 1.8Ghz. The name 3100+ means that toe's chip(even though it only runs at 1.8Ghz) will do as much work as an orginal P4 would do running at 3.1Ghz. The way they are named is pretty acurate to their performance so it's fairly safe (other than when you're building the cpu) to ignore the 1.8Ghz and consider it to be a 3.1Ghz chip.
I guess what i'm saying is that we're used to the Ghz rating of a cpu telling us what kind of performance to expect from it, but since the AthlonXP's came out, the Ghz doesn't tell you anything about the performance. My AthlonXP 2400+ runs at 2Ghz but toes 3100+ (@ only 1.8Ghz) will out perform it because This technology that AMD uses called Quantispeed is constantly improving and getting more and more work done at less Ghz and it has improved so much since i bought my cpu that now toes cpu does even more work, at even less Ghz than mine which already does more work at less Ghz than an original P4.

I don't know if that's any simpler, and now i'm wondering if you were being facetious, Ire. You yankin' my chain here? hehehehe I thought "shitload" was a pretty layman term. =P

Last edited by [C|H|3|Z] on Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
][c1][Sexy_Biatch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds nice toe

SamuraiJake

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting Chez. I always wondered how AMDs were measured by speed. When I got my AMD 64 3500+, I was wondering why it's clock speed was only 2.2 Ghz. When I ran it, it sure didn't feel like no 2.2 Ghz. This makes me wonder, are AMD Dual Core CPUs read the same way? Given that it's two cores powering the CPU, I'd say that the number is just based on how fast it woulds be if both cores were to run at the same time.
[C|H|3|Z]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not up on those, but i think it's pretty much the same as dual cpu where the program your running has to be written to multithread so that it will use both cpu's or in this case both cores otherwise it will only utilize one cpu or one core. Again this is an assumption on my part and i imagine the whole quantispeed thing applies to each core individually, but the program still has to be written to use them both. For all i know 64bit windows might even emulate that for any programs that run on it... I'll learn about that when i have the money to buy one hehehhe.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so whats that make my pc, Im pretty confused?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what cpu do you have again?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.8 Ghz Dual Processor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wha? You have board with two cpu's on it? or is it a dualcore cpu?
you got an Intel D 820 DualCore? AMD Opteron 280? What is it? if it's either of those, man, we gonna hafta lock you up. =P No wonder you got to kickin' so much ass. =)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know what it is, just 2.8 Intel dual core, lol!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh ok then, intel chips at 2.8Ghz are simply 2.8Ghz, but your's is dualcore so it kicks ass. =) Winxp is written to take advantage of dual cpu's so it will prolly fully take advantage of dualcore as well, i don't know about UT, but GAB runs all those servers, website, forum, and some email accounts at about a 30-40% cpu load with dual athlons, so it might i dunno. But you sure kick more ass with this machine. =) that says it all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chaptor One Forum Index -> Computer Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: