Chaptor One Forum Index Chaptor One
Welcome To The Chaptor One Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blocking an ISP from a site.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
][c1][Gimp

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Blocking an ISP from a site. Reply with quote

My dear wife has had a peculiar thing happen to her, other than marrying me 40 years ago-lol. She works for the Federal Government, and uses her own laptop for contacting her supervisor, and the Gov. computer to do the main work as well.The problem arose when she applied on line on a Government web site for another position using her own computer. She filled the application out, pressed enter, and nothing worked. She then phoned another worker of hers, who promptly filled out the application, and pressed enter, off it went. Then my wife came over to my computer, accessed the site, filled out the application, and pressed enter. Off it went. We feel she was being blocked from applying through her ISP address because her boss did not want her to go. My question is, is this the same way you block people from going on game sites, and can anyone tell me how this works. We know we can't prove anything, but it would be nice to be able to sound intelligent when we complain. Can anyone help us? Thanks.
Gimp

YOU BE GIMPERISED
Maggot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few ways of blocking access to addresses or sites. Usually a fire wall or a setting in Security for the Web Browser. Blocks can be put in place by a server connection as well. This is usually seen in equipment provided by for example a school / university / government agency / company. There would be software embedded in the computer preventing connection to a range of IPs or specific ones. A router can also be used to control connection to specific or range of IPs.
][c1][Gimp

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Maggot,
That sure looks like what happened in Ann's case. Just goes to show you, don't ruffle feathers in high places-lol.
Gimp 8)

YOU BE GIMPERISED
[C|H|3|Z]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

somehow i missed this post. Gimp, honestly, i wouldn't think her boss would be able to do that. The way ppl are banned from games like Ut and ohters is when they try to join the server looks at a list of banned ip addresses or playernames or computerID's or a combination of that sort of thing and if you on the list, it won't let you connect.
Her boss prolly doesn't work at the same place where she applied too right? See, that would be like you played on my server, and i didn't want you to go to toe's server instead so somehow i blocked you from going there. Well i couldn't do that cause i'd have to get into toe's server config and add you to the list to block.
Even if her boss has control over her internet service to block her from being able to access certain sites, well, she accessed it didn't she. just couldn't submit the application. The application was more than likely submitted via email from her laptop, and that email was sent to an email of the webmaster's choice. What may have happened is that you have to set your browser up to use an email client like outlook, outlook express, incredimail or some other kind of email client that can send and recieve your emails without logging into some webmail like hotmail, yahoomail, gmail, or any other webpage based email service.
If the browser isn't set up to use an email client that is on her laptop, then forms like that will not work.
Sorry for the late response, i hope you guys didn't get yourselves into a dispute to find out that it was a problem like i've described.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ch3z,
Just got back from Hawaii, thanks for replying. You may have hit on the explanation for what happened, although we both use macs and the same mail program. The odd thing is that , yes, she did fill in the on- line- application, but when the send button was pressed, it would not send. I don't think it had anything to do with emails, as she had to go through her browser, Safari, like I do to go on line. Ann's boss is also in charge of the census hiring and preparation, so she would have direct access to the computer application link. The fact that Ann's friend applied right after, from a pc, and then Ann applied right after on my mac,with no problems, leads us to believe she was blocked from applying via the ISP address of her computer.This is one of a few fishy things that have happened to Ann lately concerning her job, so the Union will be investigating through a grievance we are processing. Sure appreciate the help from you and Maggot, thank you.
Gimp

YOU BE GIMPERISED
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chaptor One Forum Index -> Computer Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: